School of Geography
University of Leeds
Leeds LS2 9JT UK
+44 (0) 113 34 39440
Monday & Thursdays 11am - 1pm or make an appointment by email
I am a lecturer in Water, Soil and Carbon Interactions. My research is broadly concerned with studying the biogeochemical processes occurring in marine sediments, with an emphasis on the cycling and burial of organic carbon and nitrogen, and the role played by benthic fauna in shaping their own geochemical environment. My work in low oxygen environments has led to a particular interest in de-convolving the often co-varying factors of sediment organic matter content, dissolved oxygen concentration and benthic faunal community biomass and structure in determining the early diagenetic pathways of organic carbon.
- Bell JB; Woulds C; Brown LE; Sweeting CJ; Reid WDK et al. (2016) Macrofaunal ecology of sedimented hydrothermal vents in the bransfield strait, Antarctica, Frontiers in Marine Science, 3, . doi: 10.3389/fmars.2016.00032
- Woulds C; Bouillon S; Cowie GL; Drake E; Middelburg JJ et al. (2016) Patterns of carbon processing at the seafloor: The role of faunal and microbial communities in moderating carbon flows, Biogeosciences, 13, pp.4343-4357. doi: 10.5194/bg-13-4343-2016
- Bell JB; Aquilina A; Woulds C; Glover AG; Little CTS et al. (2016) Geochemistry, faunal composition and trophic structure in reducing sediments on the southwest South Georgia margin, Royal Society Open Science, 3, . doi: 10.1098/rsos.160284
- Swindles GT; Amesbury MJ; Turner TE; Carrivick JL; Woulds C et al. (2015) Evaluating the use of testate amoebae for palaeohydrological reconstruction in permafrost peatlands, Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology, 424, pp.111-122. doi: 10.1016/j.palaeo.2015.02.004
- Swindles GT; Morris PJ; Mullan D; Watson EJ; Woulds C et al. (2015) The long-term fate of permafrost peatlands under rapid climate warming, Scientific Reports, 5, . doi: 10.1038/srep17951
- Pilot study investigating how storminess has affected coastal areas by integrating field evidence and climate proxy data.
- Tracer studies of biological carbon cycling in chemosynthetic communities of the Southern Ocean
- Experimental studies on dissolved oxygen and organic matter supply as controls on benthic communities and seafloor biogeochemical cycling
- River Basin Processes and Management