School of Geography
University of Leeds
Leeds LS2 9JT UK
+44 (0) 113 34 36838
Monday 10:30 - 12:30, Thursday 2:00 - 4:00
Professor of Spatial Analysis and Policy and Director of the Consumer Data Research Centre (CDRC). His major interests are in simulating social and demographic change within cities and regions, and in understanding the impact of these changes on the need for services like housing, roads and hospitals, using techniques of microsimulation, agent-based modelling and GIS.
He is co-editor of the journal Applied Spatial Analysis and Policy, a member of the editorial board of GeoInformatics and GeoStatistics, and on the programme committee for the European Social Simulation Association and GeoComputation.
- Lovelace R; Birkin M; Cross P; Clarke M (2016) From Big Noise to Big Data: Toward the Verification of Large Data sets for Understanding Regional Retail Flows, Geographical Analysis, 48, pp.59-81. doi: 10.1111/gean.12081
- Lovelace R; Birkin M; Ballas D; van Leeuwen E (2015) Evaluating the Performance of Iterative Proportional Fitting for Spatial Microsimulation: New Tests for an Established Technique, JASSS-THE JOURNAL OF ARTIFICIAL SOCIETIES AND SOCIAL SIMULATION, 18, .
- Clarke G; Thompson C; Birkin M (2015) The emerging geography of e-commerce in British retailing, Regional Studies, Regional Science, 2, pp.371-391. doi: 10.1080/21681376.2015.1054420
- Shulman H; Birkin M; Clarke GP (2015) A comparison of small-area hospitalisation rates, estimated morbidity and hospital access, Health and Place, 36, pp.134-144. doi: 10.1016/j.healthplace.2015.10.001
- Bojesen M; Birkin M; Clarke G (2014) Spatial competition for biogas production using insights from retail location models, Energy, . doi: 10.1016/j.energy.2013.12.039
- Director of the Consumer Data Research Centre (CDRC)
- Director of GeoSpatial Data Analysis and Simulation (TALISMAN), a node of the ESRC National Centre for Research Methods
- Co-Investigator, UK Infrastructure Transitions Research Consortium